Tours and workshops for 2016
Bass Rock Photographic Workshops
Join Glenn Upton-Fletcher an award winning Wildlife Photographer on a bespoke Photographic workshop to a natural Birding wonder in the UK .
About Bass Rock
Bass Rock lies off the coast of Scotland in the Firth of Forth, 3½ miles (5.5 km) northeast of North Berwick, and Dunbar Harbour and is home to 150000 noisy charismatic character filled Gannets during the Breeding season. It is a huge trachyte plug rising 313 feet, with three sides of sheer cliff, and a tunnel piercing the rock to a depth of 105 meters. Truly spectacular location to witness an equal wildlife spectacle.
This is the largest single largest gannet island colony in the world, and a captivating wildlife event, with the sounds and atmosphere hard to rival in any wildlife experience anywhere in the world. This for me is like the Bird Serengeti of the North. It is a Jewel of the UK a wildlife heritage, and something any wildlife lover, photographer or budding naturalist should experience.Newsworthy:
- In 2014 The Northern Gannet colony was officially recognised as now being the largest Gannet colony in the world, undertaken by Stuart Murray, in conjunction with the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (CEH), has shown that the Bass Rock is now the world’s largest colony.
- The Bass Rock has also been nominated by wildlife presenter, Chris Packham, in the BBC Countryfile Magazine Awards 2014-15 in the Nature Reserve of the Year category. It is the only Scottish location in this category. Chris describes “this gannet-capped island” as “the most exciting birding spectacle in the UK.”
About the Photographic Workshop
To introduce and share this incredible natural wonder of the UK I have put together this special workshop as a multiple visitor to Bass Rock over the last few years, and together with the services of an exceptional ‘gannet’ guide, who knows Bass Rock and the Gannets intimately with many years of experience and dedication to Bass Rocks Gannets. The aim is to open up the details of this wonderful experience to you as seen through a camera lens, by observation, and informed interpretation, and guidance in helping you to record your experience.
Total workshop time 6.5 Hours which is a whole hour longer than a standard landing trip to Bass. You get that extra hour on bass rock itself. This is an unforgettable experience and one that has been put together to enable me to share with you the wonderful spectacle we have on our doorstep, and one that rivals some of the worlds biggest wildlife spectacles. My aim is to help you capture moments in the Gannets lives, and to hopefully add to your photographic vision and ambition in the art of creating an image.
The workshop Highlights are as follows:
- One to one personal photographic tuition from myself, with you as needed.
- Access to on tap knowledge from the ‘gannet behaviour’ and Bass Rock Expert.
- Up close and personal with nesting Gannets without disturbing the birds.
- 4 Hours On Bass Rock with the Gannets (1Hr longer than an ordinary trip)
- 1/2Hr Chum to pit our skill into capturing gannets diving up to 60mph for fish.
- 30min pre sailing brief to include workshop outline and objectives for the day.
What to do Now
Have a look at the dates available below and fill out the Contact form and we will get back to you with all the relevant booking and payment options, information, T&C’s and any answers to specific questions. For addition information there is also the eBrochure available HERE and below.
Dates for both Spring and Summer Workshops
Places are strictly limited, with only three dates. Two in spring and one in summer. This is a wonderful opportunity to have a first class experience of a wildlife spectacle, and receive some expert direction in capturing the action.
Workshop Dates & Prices:
Spring Dates: (All Breeding activities, nest building, courtship, greetings, and squabbles)
22nd May 2016 - 07:00hrs to 13:30hrs: - £195.00pp Closed
29th May 2016 - 06:30hrs to 13:00hrs: - £195.00pp Closed An early morning light
Summer Dates: (Fluffy Chicks and Parental activities)
03rd July 2016 - 07:30hrs to 14:00 - £195.00pp Closed
Bookings and Further workshop information
Please fill out the contact form to receive Booking, payment, and deposit details and also for any queries that you may have. HERE